Monday, March 29, 2010

One of the best things about a baby is their baby smell. The smell of freshness from the laundry, the Johnson & Johnson's Baby Magic lotion and the pure scent that comes from within. I have enjoyed cuddling with Madison since the day she was born. Holding her in my arms while she nuzzles her nose in the crook of my neck as I take in her delicious scent. I enjoy giving her a bath to freshen her up and to make her sweet scent stronger.

Photobucket

Since Friday, our baby has taken on a new smell. The smell of Crisco. Yes, you read it correctly Crisco. As in shortening that you bake, fry and/or saute with...in the kitchen. She no longer possesses that delicious smell of new baby. She smells like a chicken. I however still long to cuddle with Maddie but when I do my face gets slathered with grease and I fear I'm going to breakout like a teenager facing puberty. Crisco is how we used to cook our french fries. Yes, not the healthiest of choices but that is what we did.

By now, you have to be wondering why in the heck we are putting Crisco on our child. Well, Madison has developed severe dry skin. She's had this for several weeks. I've tried about every lotion, gel, ointment, oil and bath on the market. Which, I'm sure, hasn't helped matters. We took her to a dermatologist on Friday and her expert advice was to load on the Crisco. Of course I laughed and said "That's funny. Now what do you really suggest we do?" She wasn't laughing. So, Ryan went to the grocery and purchased a tub of Crisco.

Photobucket

I've since learned, from other mothers, that this isn't so out of the ordinary. They too have been instructed to slather on the grease. Which makes me feel a little better....sort of.

Photobucket

Madison, of course, doesn't seem to mind. Baby lotion, baby oil, Crisco it's all the same to her. So, we will continue to grease up our little peanut until directed otherwise. (We have a follow-up appointment tomorrow. I'm so hoping we are directed otherwise.)

1 comment:

Meme and Papaw said...

Cute pictures!! I can't wait to see what you have planned for an Easter egg hunt!
Love ya!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails