Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pacifiers and Painting

I distinctly remember the first time I gave our daughter a pacifier. It was between the hours of two and three o'clock in the morning, our baby girl only a couple of weeks old. I was holding her, rocking her as she just cried and cried and cried. I too began to cry. She had just nursed, I had changed her diaper and I even gave her some water, nothing I did soothed our baby. There I sat exhausted, tears streaming down my face, lost and no one to turn to, except that tiny jar of pacifiers sitting so peacefully on the shelf.

Photobucket

We had received them as gifts at my baby showers and I had always said that I didn't want her to use a pacifier. My only real reason for not wanting to give her one was because I did not want to go through the process of taking it away.

There as I sat in that rocking chair staring at the jar in agony and I caved. I reached over grabbed one and popped it in her mouth. Then....peace and....quiet. I continued to rock as Madison slipped into a blissful sleep and I continued to cry. I caved. In my moment of weakness I gave in. I had already gone against something that I didn't want to do as a parent and she was only two weeks old. I remember apologizing to Ryan before he left for work that morning. He reassured me that it's alright, he didn't care and if she she liked it, then give it to her.

Photobucket

Now here we are sixteen and a half months later, Madison is still sucking away on the pacifier. When she turned one we limited the pacifier to her only having it at nap time and bedtime. She adjusted well and didn't seem to mind one bit but if she sees one lying around or finds one under her bed in her mouth it goes. She's gotten to the point where she asks for it when she heads off to bed while pointing at the jar that's still sitting on the shelf.

Photobucket

I cringe when I think about taking this small object that soothes her away. She loves it but she doesn't need it anymore. I do not want her to get further attached to it then she already is nor do I want her to have it any longer for fear that if she does it will begin to wreck her teeth. I'm certainly not looking forward to the sleepless nights that will follow as she lies there crying wondering why were not giving her a pacifier.

Friday, April 1st is the day.

Why this day? I have no idea, just a date I picked randomly and seemed like it would be a good day. So, we have six more days of calm peaceful nights then I'm pulling the plug. Literally.

Photobucket

Don't worry, I'll keep you posted on our progress.

Did a little finger painting after dinner tonight. I'll leave you with pictures from our fun. Have a great week and until next time.....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

Unknown said...

CUTE! Thanks for the Maddie updates! keep em coming!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails