Thursday, March 15, 2012

What's going on in your crib?

Last night was a big night for us. All three of us...Mama, Daddy and Madison. Last night we took Madison's bed from this....

Photobucket

Her crib, the one she's slept in since day one lying perpendicular to the mattress instead of parallel, until of course her legs got too long and we had to turn her around. And because of those growing legs and growing body we also had to lower the mattress. Slowly but surely it got to it's present height of about a foot off of the floor. This is the same crib that she chewed on while she was teething. I'll never forget walking in and seeing her face speckled with white paint all while smiling so brightly. Those teeth marks will forever be ingrained in that wood. This crib, the main focal point of a baby's room. The focal point of her room is now no longer a crib. With the assistance of Madison, Ryan transformed Maddie O.'s crib into a toddler's bed.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Our toddler couldn't be more excited about the change. Miss Independent has gained another ounce of independence in her life. She now can climb into her own bed.

Photobucket

Days before the toddler rails were delivered on our front porch, Ryan asked me "Are we really going to do this?" Of course I told him "Yes." Rather matter-of-factly and so sure that it is something we have to do if we are ever going to get her out of diapers at night. The child is potty trained except for we've been putting her in a diaper at night. This transition is something we had to do because she needs to be able to get up if she has to potty. My reasons were good, the timing as far as her being ready is good, all things were in alignment so we moved forward.

Photobucket

I never, in a million years, thought it would hit me like it did. Once she fell asleep, after not coming out of her room at all, not even once, I crept into her room to see our little toddler. I stood there looking over her, then knelt down beside her bed, placed my hand on her little belly and that's when the tears began to fall. I wept because it hit me so hard that our baby girl really isn't a baby anymore. She's a toddler through and through. As time passes and we reach new milestones the memories of her being a tiny baby all curled up in our arms seem so far away.

I went to Ryan and totally freaked him out because he was all relaxed on the couch watching TV and here I come walking in with tears streaming down my face. He was oblivious to the breakdown I just had in Madison's room. He took me in his arms and said "Come on, let's go look at her."

There we stood in Madison's room, in each other's arms. Madison sleeping peacefully, me balling my eyes out and Ryan simply stated "She will always be our baby girl."

This I know is true.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Meme and Papaw said...

Madison just put a big feather in mommy and daddy's hat for giving her this new freedom. Now she can get up and explore without parent interruption. After Kimberly was released from her night-time cell I remember her waking me by sitting on my chest and lifting my eyelids to see if I was awake. Interesting blogs are a comin!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails